The DCS EMBs (Electronic Measurement Boards) work in-conjunction with an Android Tablet or smart-phone to supply the user with an intuitive and rich user-interface. Note that you can use the DCS Android App with your 10mF1 and 10MF2, as well! Let us know if that’s of interest and we’ll get you squared-away.
The DCS System
The Big Fin Scientific DCS System is comprised of 3 parts:
- The DCS Fish-Study Board (acts as highly-accurate measurement and data-input device)
- The DCS Application (runs on Android tablets)
- An Android-based Tablet (with sunlight-readable 10″ screen) OR your existing computer and fish-database program.
The DCS Fish-Study Board
• A variety of measurement envelopes are available, from 200 to 850mm. (Note: Fish longer than the envelope can be measured with an available accessory.)
• 1 millimeter accuracy throughout the measurement envelope.
• Rugged and waterproof to IP-67 standards.
• Light-weight: (6-10lbs, depending on model.)
• Slim dimensions; easy to stow with other gear or throw in a backpack. **
• Waterproof cabling for data and power comes standard.
• Compatible with your custom, PC-based database program.
• Wirelessly communicate with your PC or an Android device running the Big Fin Scientific DCS Application via Bluetooth. Or, connect it via USB for a wired connection.
• Fully customized decal available at nominal cost. Completely customize the fish-board data-entry layout to match your protocols and data.
• 10+ hour rechargeable battery power comes standard. Approx 4 hour charge time with the included power-supply and charge+usb cable (waterproof connection to the fish-board).
• The included magnetic stylus (used for length marking and data-entry on the fish-board) is not affected by sea or lake water, fish-slime or other contaminants.
The DCS Application
• Nearly unlimited number of fish records are stored on your Android-powered tablet.
• Real-time backup system backs up your data constantly to SD-card.
• Easily transmit/offload your fish-data in CSV format.
• Drag-and-drop data-field locations within the DCS Application. Hide fields you don’t care about. Customize on-the-fly.
• Audio feedback to the user for heads-down operation.
• Operate most functions on the tablet application via the fish-board; extreme conditions may render tablet touch-screen useless, so the fish-board acts as the data-entry device instead of the tablet.
• Record near-unlimited and totally customize-able fields related to your study and the fish you catch.
• Get real-time feedback on your study in the form of a histogram view and a study summary view, broken out by sub-sample and species.
The XSlate D10 Ruggedized Android Tablet
This tablet provides a sunlight-readable, 10″ screen, is ruggedized for rough handling and is water-resistant to IP65 standards. See the full specs here:
** All DCS models are 127mm (5″) wide by 35mm (1 3/8″) tall. The length is equal to the measurement envelope selected plus 20cm (7.8″). Thus, a 50cm board (indicating measurement envelope) would be 70cm long (27 1/2″). The 85cm board (longest available) would be 105cm long (41 3/8″).